Monday, July 1, 2013

Khanzilla Review - H.P. Lovecraft's From Beyond (1986) - Scream Factory Blu Ray

This is something I'm going to try out...I've never been in depth with any movie or DVD/Blu reviews so this is my first attempt. So without further adieu...



From Beyond directed by Stuart Gordon...Produced by Brian Yuzna. Coming on the heels of the hit Re-Animator, From Beyond was awarded more budget and more time. We have 2/3 of the main cast from Re-Animator in the outstanding Jeffrey Combs and Barbara Crampton. They are joined by Ken Foree of the original Dawn of the Dead. We have tons of practical effects and very, very minimal cgi graphics - because let's face it, in 1986, there was nothing else - this was a golden age for horror and horror effects. This is a stellar print of the Director's Cut originally released on DVD back in 2007. All of the extras from that release are ported over and 4 new, short features are added. I wish these had been longer but I will take what I can get. This is one you will enjoy, especially if you hold Re-Animator in high regard like I do. It features an outlandish story full of resonators, pineal glands and extra dimensional monsters. A great score by Richard Band and the aforementioned special effects makes this a perfect example of a bygone era in horror films...they don't make 'em like this anymore!

Jeffrey Combs is having a bit of a headache...



Doctor Pratorius (Ted Sorel) gets cozy with Barbara Crampton



The packaging is one of Scream Factory's main draws - they usually include a new work of art for the bluray cover with the option to flip over the inlay to showcase the original movie poster for those of us who prefer the classic look. I am very glad they did so here as the new cover artwork just isn't my favorite. I can acknowledge that it was most likely the work of a mega-fan but the overall piece is too jumbled and chaotic for my taste. Not that it's terrible, it's just not my personal preference.

The classic artwork blu cover.



Original artists rendition - not my fave.



All in all, this is a blu that you should have on your shelf if you don't already.

Movie Review: 4 out of 5 Khans!!! A stellar example of everything coming together from a team who were at their creative zenith at this point in time.



Bluray review: 4 out of 5 Khans!!! Having two choiced of artwork is nice, I only wish the extras had been a bit more meaty.

No comments: