Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The Battle of the Bulge 70th Anniversary Reunion - Columbia, SC 8.31.14...Part Two...

Below is part two of my previous post. Several veterans that were at the Battle of the Bulge were present that day. You could go up and speak, say hello, and get an autograph. Many had stories to tell, some were more reserved. But all were glad in their own way for the thanks and handshakes that they received. Each wore a button featuring a picture of them from the war. Below I will attempt to show and tell about some of The Greatest Generation that I was so happy to meet. When possible, the name will appear in the picture. I highly suggest you go to youtube or google their names and you will likely find tons of info and video interviews for each.







This was one of many characters I met - his name was Leif Maseng. He told me about his parents who were Norwegian and moved to America. They taught him to snow ski as a child, but after being in the Battle of the Bulge, he never wanted to see snow nor did he ski ever again. He also informed me that his first name was "Leif" and not "Sir!" Hahaha.



This gentleman walked up to us as they first got to the museum, said he was glad to be here today and had a wonderful smile. This was Thomas Burgess. I noticed he had a finger missing on his right hand. I'm sure he would have told that story had I asked. Wonderful man.





The trio of Mike Levin, Leif Maseng, and Thomas Burgess. Leif was prob telling me not to call him Sir here...haha.





Al Morfee and Thomas Burgess kidding around.







Michael Hoff was somewhat reserved, but he still managed a great smile as I thanked him.





Another gentleman of very sharp mind was Irving Locker. He was so gracious and thanked each and every guest for coming out to meet them and especially for having such an interest in the veterans and their stories. He said to make sure to look his name up as he has done several interviews about his time during the war. He was a very genuine fellow. I loved meeting him.





Next up was John C. Cutter from Swansea, SC (if memory serves.) He had the bluest eyes. He told the story of a friend he served with who went home up North (New Jersey?) after ww2 and promptly returned to the south because it was too cold up there after being in the Bulge.



A great table shot...in the background you can spot Irving Locker thanking another guest.









Columbia native Gerald White...he was very happy to be there.



A unique and special man...Walter Hedges. He flew the P-51 Mustang. Apparently a member of his family had drawn a picture of him as he looked in WW2. He was wearing his leather flight jacket and I told him the P-51 was one of my favorite WW2 aircraft. He smiled and said "well I flew the P-47 one time, and I went back to the P-51. It was a wonderful airplane." When he began to sign his name he pointed to the upper corner of my poster and said "I'm going to sign up in the clouds." Awesome.





Jessie Bowman recognized one of his friend's signatures on my poster. "Where is this fella?" he asked.



One of the most memorable individuals of the day - Mr. William Leunig from Long Island. He was a storyteller! He spoke of being in the Bulge and meeting a friend who went to the same high school and of all the trains he saw. He loved to talk and I loved to listen. He still lives in Long Island and he said he "hates riding in airplanes."





He he was apparently "telling secrets" to the lady in front of him. Haha.







Mr. Tom Ingram. Spoke of his time of being on the frontlines and liberating a lot of towns in Europe from the Germans as well as some silver...ha!



A sweet, sweet former nurse - Katherine "Kate" Nolan. A nurse who was at D-Day before being in the Bulge. She asked my name and wouldn't sign hers until she knew mine. "I want to make sure I get it right," She told me. What a sweet old lady.





A duo of buddies - (John) Stuttinger and Alford Taylor.



I think Mr. Stuttinger was making eyes at my wife when she took this picture. Hahaha.



Mr. Taylor told me he was glad to be there. "I love coming to these things - because one day I might be TOO OLD to come anymore." HAHA!!!





My favorite picture of the day. This gentleman needed a quick break so he went out into the foyer area. The wife snapped this wonderful shot. I am still speechless.



Finally, my poster and all the signatures. I have no words. Respect and gratitude to them all. They are truly national treasures.







No comments: