Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Final Countdown (1980)...


Oh yeah - another favorite of my childhood. The USS Nimitz gets sucked back in time to December 6, 1941. Plays pretty much like a two hour Navy commercial with gratuitous aircraft and carrier scenes. Martin Sheen and Kirk Douglas star (what is it with Martin Sheen movies this week?) Its an ok movie looking back on it now 31 years later, but it does ask an interesting question...if you commanded the most powerful ship the world had ever seen and you had a chance to rewrite history by DESTROYING the Japanese fleet BEFORE they attacked Pearl Harbor and saving all those lives - would you do it? Extra points for Navy Tomcat fighter jets tangling with Japanese Zeroes...good stuff.



1 comment:

WarRaptor said...

Hah! I can remember watching this movie with my dad in the movie theater! I thought it was crap then....and I was 8!!!

Still, always cool when tomcats fight with zeros!